It’s all too simple to permit distractions comparable to social media or movies to seduce us from the issues we’re imagined to be doing — comparable to, say, writing articles about Home windows 11. Options comparable to Focus help at the moment are being included with working techniques to attempt to assist us preserve our eyes on the street, so to talk.
Microsoft’s Focus help was first launched in a 2018 replace of Home windows 10, the place it changed a characteristic often called Quiet Hours, and whereas Home windows 11 doesn’t provide any radical updates, it has made the characteristic simpler to make use of. Focus help stops notifications from popping up in your display screen and could be activated mechanically if you put in your show on presentation mode, are enjoying a sport, or are utilizing an app in full-screen mode.
I’ll present you the way to edit the automated periods in a second. First, right here’s the way to manually start a Focus help session.
START A SESSION
In Home windows 11, Focus help has been made part of the Clock app. To start out a session manually, sort “Clock” into your taskbar’s Search icon. You’ll be guided to a web page that helps you arrange the size of time you need the session to final; it’s also possible to set a each day purpose if you want. And there are tiles that allow you to hyperlink your Spotify account (ought to you’ve gotten one) to your focus periods or use Microsoft To Do to select a activity for that session. Don’t want both of those? Maintain studying.
If you happen to click on on the settings icon on the backside left of the Clock app, you’ll be able to modify the size of your focus time (together with breaks) and choose a sound to play when your focus interval (or your break) ends. And you’ll do away with the Spotify and / or To Do tiles.
The Clock settings web page additionally permits you to choose a theme for the app and tweak your notification settings, together with which notifications shouldn’t be filtered out throughout a Focus help session.
To personalize this characteristic a bit extra and to edit the automated settings, you have to go to “Focus help settings.”
FOCUS ASSIST SETTINGS
You may get to Focus help settings in a number of methods: by clicking on “Settings” > “System” > “Focus help,” by utilizing the taskbar search icon to seek out “Focus help,” or by clicking on the system clock on the proper fringe of the taskbar after which on “Focus help settings.”
When you’re there, there are two major sections.
The primary part permits you to flip Focus help on and off and set sure parameters when it’s lively:
- “Precedence solely” limits lively notifications to these laid out in a precedence record. You may set that record up by choosing the “Customise precedence record” hyperlink proper under the “Precedence solely” subhead. You may have it all the time notify you of incoming calls, all the time notify you of reminders, or permit notifications from particular apps. New to Home windows 11 is the flexibility to prioritize notifications from contacts who’re both pinned to your taskbar or whom you specify through an “Add contacts” button.
- “Alarms solely” permits you to cover all of your notifications, aside from any alarms you could have arrange.
- Involved that you could be miss one thing? If you happen to verify “Present a abstract of what I missed when focus help was on,” then you can be mechanically notified of all of your filtered notifications as quickly as Focus help is not lively.
The second part, headed “Automated guidelines,” permits you to modify a number of pre-set guidelines. You may toggle every on and off from this web page, however if you wish to change their settings, click on on the identify of the characteristic.
- “Throughout these hours” permits you to set particular instances and days when Focus help will kick in. To edit the settings, choose “Throughout these instances” after which, on the following web page, toggle it on. You’ll be capable of select the beginning and finish instances for every session; whether or not it applies to day-after-day, to simply weekdays or simply weekends; and whether or not it should permit precedence solely or alarms solely.
The opposite options underneath “Automated guidelines” function in a lot the identical approach. On the Focus help web page, click on the toggle to show them on or off, and click on on their identify to regulate them.
- “Once I’m duplicating my show” kicks in if you’re acquired two shows going; toggle it on so you’ll be able to edit it to permit both precedence solely or alarms solely.
- “Once I’m enjoying a sport” is fairly apparent; once more, toggle it on to vary it to precedence solely or alarms solely.
- Lastly, “Once I’m utilizing an app in full-screen mode solely” may also be tweaked to be precedence solely or alarms solely.
One last item: when Focus help is lively, you will note a small moon icon on the far proper of your taskbar. Click on on it, and it’s best to be capable of see any missed notifications.